What are your favorite beauty products?
I’ve tried a bazillion mascaras over the years, from expensive designer stuff to to everything the drugstore offers, and I always come back to this classic. It’s never steered me wrong and the price point ($4-6) can’t be beat. It’s not clumpy, makes your lashes look top notch, and goes on easily.
I don’t even remember how I ended up with a little travel bottle of this stuff, but I used every ounce of it before buying the big can. This is the best hairspray I’ve ever used! The smell isn’t terrible or overwhelming, it holds like crazy, and leaves a nice shine to your tresses. I often loosely curl my shoulder-length hair with a small-barreled straightener, spritz with this stuff, and then scrunch and tousle a bit. The fact that it can make my full head of fine hair stay curled for hours is a total game-changer for me.(instead of sliding off of your face by happy hour) and gives a slightly retro style and precise definition to your lash line. It is a mess to take off (or if you start crying or walking in the rain), so I recommend a good makeup remover. TIP: bring the line within a quarter inch of your inner eye corner, but not closer. In my experience that is an area I touch without thinking about it and I end up smearing a too close line.
Once I figured out to define my blonde eyebrows, my makeup world completely changed. It’s not that my brows are naturally super light, just that adding a little definition to them makes your entire face look so much more polished and put together. And for me, the mother of a precocious toddler with a demanding career, I need all the help I can get! This is one of the few staples I’ll put on to go out with a “bare face,” if I feel so inclined.
What is your daily beauty routine?
Morning• Splash of cold water to wake myself up. • Wash hands (always do that before applying makeup!). • Apply my makeup. I go in this order:
- NYX BB cream over the whole face, including eyelids
- NYX concealer under my eyes
- NYX stay matte but not flat powder foundation over whole face
- NYX liquid illuminator over cheekbones
- NYX chubby blush stick over cheeks, work into cheekbones
- NYX color concealer on blemishes, if any (gently apply the green color to red blemishes with a cotton swab, then use other end to blend in and the color that is closest to your skin tone to dot on top)
- Eyeshadow (usually a neutral color palette, always applied with my fingers rather than brushes). I put a light color over the whole lid and a mid-to-darker brown/grey in the crease and corners.
- Eyeliner (if any that day)
NightAfter a shower I do the following:
- A few spritzes of coconut water toner on face
- Antioxidant serum over whole face
- Moisturizer over whole face
- Shea cocoa butter over body
What are things you never spend money on?Shaving cream: Soap is totally fine! Shower poufs: I’m convinced they just hoard bacteria anyway. A full bottle of perfume: The mini rollerball perfumes you can find in bins at Sephora for like $15 fit in your purse and last forever! Nirvana Black by Elizabeth & James is my favorite. Manicures:I am terrible about chipping nail polish and will walk around with sad, chipped nails for weeks for no good reason. On the rare occasion I do get one, it’s either for a special occasion or to manage cuticles and make things look kempt and pretty. Lip gloss: My hair always gets stuck in it, it’s gone within minutes it seems, and I never want anything that shiny.
Where will you spend a little extra?Quality, hand-milled bars of soap Eyebrow waxing: $10 every couple months for shaping does so much more than I can with tweezers! Pedicures: Partially because I want the full-meal deal in foot care, partially because it’s me taking time for myself outside the home!
What are you a sucker for?A good red or coral lipstick.
Sources: Straw tote bag | Pouch
What’s in your bag?I keep these all together in a little zip pouch that I can toss into my purse, diaper bag, or take to the bathroom in a pinch:
- several shades of lipstick
- lip liner
- natural beeswax lip balm
- Listerine Cool Mint PocketPak
- mini rollerball of perfume
- NYX matte blotting papers
- a Lola tampon or two
- a couple cough drops
- a hair tie and a couple bobby pins
- Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream
Do you have any hair advice? Yours is awesome.
Let’s connect!Be sure to follow House Mix on Pinterest and Instagram! I share a lot of ideas and frugal tips on Instagram (especially in stories) that don’t develop into full posts here.
This site contains affiliate links. 20 percent of proceeds earned from my blog are donated to charities for children and clean water.
Classic casual wardrobe basics capsule
Casual Amazon wardrobe capsule
6 beauty tips to start before 40
Black and white Amazon capsule
Target summer wardrobe capsule
$200 Walmart wardrobe capsule
My favorite clean makeup and non-toxic products
Coconut and ACV skincare routine
3 summer wardrobe capsules
Wardrobe capsule: Comfort