I’m so excited about this project! One of my life’s missions is to not pay too much for throw pillows. Not really, but they are crazy overpriced, aren’t they?
I came across this pretty placemat ($5) at World Market and for some reason I immediately wished it were a pillow. I turned it over and saw it had fabric lining that back of it. I can make it a pillow!
And so I did. It was so easy I finished it in 20 minutes — and without a sewing machine.
Here’s what I did:
- placemat with lining on the back
- pillow stuffing
- needle and thread
- unique stitch (a nifty no-sew fabric glue) or hot glue gun
- small piece of trim or ribbon
- Cut opening in placemat.
- Stuff it.
- Sew up the hole with needle and thread.
- Dab glue on the ends of trim so it doesn’t unravel.
- Glue piece of trim on pillow over the stitching.
Placemat pillows have turned into my thing! I love them especially for holidays and outdoors. I switch them out so often that I don’t even sew up the back most of the time. Take a look at all the fun ways I’ve found to use them: