I bought three large Virserum frames from Ikea (27 ½ x 39 ¼ “) for a giant blank wall I had in our office area. Of course, I didn’t know what I was going to put in them. I just knew I was at Ikea for the first time in ages and I should buy them!
They hung on the wall with nothing in them for over a month, until finally I had a DIY idea. I was inspired by this color palette to make my own triangle art. Basically, I decided to take fabric I already had and paint it with pretty colors. I chose fabric because I liked the idea of having texture, but of course you could use paper or whatever creative surface you can think of.
(I had to leave the glass off the frames for photos because the glare from the windows was so strong.)
Here’s how to do it:
Tools needed for DIY triangle tape art
- masking or painter’s tape
- acrylic paint
- Take apart your frame and lay it (or the mat) on the fabric. Trace it lightly with a pencil.
- Cut out your traced box, leaving a couple inches on the outside so you can tape it to the frame later.
- You can either buy skinny painter’s tape (like this) or cut regular tape in half. (I couldn’t find the skinny tape at my Home Depot, so I cut masking tape I already had in half.)
- Tape off a pattern with the tape. I taped the diagonal lines first to give me a guide where the center should be — shown in dark blue, above.
- Paint with acrylic paint. I diluted mine with a little water because fabric soaks up a lot of paint and I like the washed look it gives.
- Remove the tape.
- Once the fabric is completely dry, iron the reverse side of the paint. Getting part of the fabric wet makes it morph a bit. Ironing it will smooth it out so it will lay nicely in the frame.
- Tape it to your mat or frame.
Here are some other designs I considered. (Yes, I’m a dork and planned it all out on the computer first.)
4 thoughts on “DIY triangle artwork with tape”
Hey there! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog.
Is it very hard to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick.
I’m thinking about setting up my own but I’m not sure where to start.
Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks
Well, I’m sort of winging it, so I’m not sure I’m the person to be giving out advice! I’d say, think about what you will focus on, what the name should be, and who will read your blog. Then you can start a free site on Word Press. From there post, post, post. Write your best stuff even if no one is reading. Take great photos in natural light. Pin it on Pinterest. Post it on Facebook. If you write great stuff, people will come. I generated nearly all of my readers from Pinterest. Does that help? I wish you the best of success!
Love this art and the colors would be perfect for my living room! Would you mind telling me the brand and colors you used?
Thanks, Regina! The brand is Craft Smart (from Hobby Lobby I think) and the colors are pink, coral reef, aqua, gray and graphite. Sorry, I don’t know what the yellow is because I’m out! Let me know how it turns out.