There are loads of helpful, extremely detailed moving checklists out there that countdown three months out from your move. This is not that list. This is the list that hits the major checkpoints of moving — the ones you don’t want to forget when you’re packing and sorting like a tornado. I’d like to say I started planning for our move months out, but I didn’t. Here’s my moving To Do short list:
Click image to download checklist.
Change of address
- U.S. Postal Service
- Drivers Licenses – Vehicle Registration
- Internal Revenue (IRS)
- Social Security
- Voter Registration
- Credit cards
- Store credit cards
- Automated payments
- Place of employment
- Friends and family
Services to cancel or transfer
- House cleaning
- Pest control
- Explain the move to the kids. Moving can be stressful for them, so it’s a good idea to discuss the moving process in advance and along the way.
- Keep all your personal and financial documents in one box to keep with you (checkbook, passports, birth certificates, insurance docs, tax docs).
- Update family medical records.
- Notify both old and new schools and arrange for transfer.
- Keep keys, garage openers in bag for new owners.
- Keep a folder with warranties and manuals for new owners.
- Plan meals to use up the food you have left.
- Save all moving receipts — they may be eligible for tax deduction.
Packing and storage
- Purge unused items. Consider having a garage sale.
- Pack infrequently used items ahead of time.
- Reserve rental truck or movers.
- Reserve storage unit if necessary.
- Start a family first night move kit to prepare for the first night in your new home.
- Arrange help for kids or pets for the day.
- Have cash to tip movers.
- Final cleaning.
- Make sure trash is disposed of.
- Run garbage disposal.
- Do a walk through to make sure nothing is left behind.
- Raise or lower the thermostat (depending on the weather).
- Turn off water heater.
- Lower shades.
- Lock all the doors and windows.
Moving part 1: Sell your house faster with these home staging ideas
Moving part 2: Change of address, services to stop, organizing checklist
Moving part 3: Problems to look for when buying a house checklist
Moving part 4: Interior decor process for a new house
Moving part 5: Family’s first night in new house checklist
Mailbox photo by Felixco, Inc./FreeDigitalPhotos.net
9 thoughts on “Moving part 2: Change of address, services to stop, organizing checklist”
I love to organize things and this checklist is just perfect! It’s good to have a plan, but it’s better when someone writes it for you! :) Thanks a lot!
hahaha! Glad I can help!
Great list! I am so glad that I found your blog. I am going to move to London. The most hard part is the organization. Thank you for sharing!
So glad it helped! Best of luck on your new adventure!
Thank you for sharing your ideas. I can now print this and give my friend a copy too.
It is really a great blog. Especially, this checklist is perfect and also more helpful. I am very glad to go through your wonderful blog. It will definitely help me more. Thanks for sharing a nice blog.
Excellent post. Thanks for letting me know about it.
Thanks for your Information. this Checklist is immaculate and furthermore increasingly accommodating. I am happy to experience your magnificent blog.
I’ve been browsing articles about decluttering and getting rid of things as well as packing up unnecessary items as my house is too full and I rent so I need to be prepared to move if necessary but until I came across this article I hadn’t found one that felt doable and this is great! Thank you for sharing!!!