One of our summer activities is going to be memorizing scripture as a family. I designed 11 free printables to color and help teach kids Bible verses. Each week, after they color them, they can hang them in their room and we can recite them together before bed at night.
My hope is to give them these treasures while they’re young, to hide in their hearts for later in life. I have such a hard time memorizing, always have, so I’d love to take advantage this time in their youth when they retain things and will still listen to Mama. I know that these truths will help them one day.
I have some other goals for these 11 weeks we have of summer too that will hopefully happen. Maybe you’ll find something to try with your crew too!
Summer goals with the kids
- We are seriously going to work on being kind to one another with this kindness chart and a treasure box. No summer of bickering this year!
- Do one activity a day for a month from this get outside calendar.
- I want to play more with the kids while they’re out of school. I’m alway talking to them and connecting with them, but have gotten away from getting down on the floor and really becoming a part of their world.
- Potty train Clara? Maybe? This makes me excited and nervous at the same time. This is how I potty train.
- Read “Heidi” to the boys. (What’s crazy is that my friend Sasha just gave me a beautiful copy of it and she didn’t know it was on my summer bucket list! That’s a good sign.)
- And as I said before, we are going to try to memorize these 11 Bible verses together as a family.
P.S. A little trick I use for the inevitable “I’m bored” comment is to make them clean! If they’re bored, I have plenty of work or them to do. I’ll hand them a spray bottle and tell them I’d love it if they’d clean the glass doors, you know, since they have the time. Suddenly they’re not bored anymore! The boys even stop themselves saying it mid-sentence now and laugh.
Bible verse pages to color
Ok, back to the color pages. A year or so ago the boys memorized the Lord’s Prayer and still say it frequently before bed. I thought we could go over these verses before bed in the same way. This works because they’re quieting down for the day and they’ll do anything to stay up a few minutes later! Ha!
So the plan is that on Sundays we’ll color them, read them and repeat them. Then they can hang them in their rooms and we’ll recite them in the evening. I want to pray for the opportunities to say the verse to them during the day, too. For example, if someone were frightened of something we could recite the verse, “Don’t be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you where ever you go.” I want them to see how these truths and promises can apply to their everyday life.
These are the verses we’re going to learn.
- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16
- Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9
- Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances. Thessalonians 5:16-18
- Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32
- Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord. Colossians 3:20
- Do everything without complaining and arguing. Philippians 2:14
- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Galatians 5:22-23
- Do to others as you would like them to do to you. Luke 6:31
- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
- Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud. Corinthians 13:4
- Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Ephesians 6:7
- Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6
I had fun designing all the pages. I hope you like them!
Here are the downloadable printables. To print an individual page, click the image. To download and print a PDF with all the pages go here.